Monday, November 5, 2012

Zombie Extravaganza/Creepy Critters Update

My eyes are behaving terribly, so I apologize if anything is mispelled in this post, and I also apologize for my lack of posting the past week and a half or so. I have been very busy with planning and executing the Zombie Extravaganza and the Creep Critters programs within a week of each other (I had the help of my TAB, but they are busy as well and I am the only YA Librarian at my library). The Zombie Extravaganza was in celebration of Teen Read Week and took place on October 19th. We had between 30-40 participants (on Senior Night at the High School which is a BIG deal) so we were very happy with the attendance we had. Everybody was able to get their faces painted (including me) and had an awesome time. Along with the pictures I am sharing, I will share a link to the video of the kids actually walking once I can find the link - of course, they all did an amazing job at being zombies. :)
Above is a photo of me with one of my teens. Creeeeeepy!
Me with most of my main group of awesome teens and tweens.

Another great program we recently hosted at our library was titled, "Creepy Critters". The wonderful animal education group, Animal Tales, out of Paducah, KY came in and put on an amazingly fun, creepy, and educational show for our families and kids. A few of the animals discussed and, um, introduced were: A tarantula, a screaming, hairy, armadillo (that's his name), a Norway rat, and a 12ft. long boa constrictor seen here:
Brave souls. We had over 60 attendees at this event and definitely plan to have Animal Tales back in the future.

So as you can see, we have had a very busy few weeks at my library and will continue to do so - although things will slow a little to focus on the holidays. I know most of my teens and tweens will be busy spending time with their families during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, so programs will pick back up in January. I am hosting a Movie Night next week, but after that things should slow down a little bit, at least.

Please let me know what you think of these pictures and if you have any suggestions of fun, low-cost Christmas/New Years activities you have done at your library that we might be able to do at ours...you know, just in case we can find the time to do something in that time, haha.





2 comments:

  1. What a cool party! Your zombies look amazing. I'm doing an after-school program in December with "salt paint". You just mix a 1/4 cup of hot water with 4 tbsps of epsom salt, and when the kids paint with it and let it dry, the salts crystalize and look sparkly and icy! Easy, fun, and even if it spills, it won't stain anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fantastic! What sort of things could they paint on?

    ReplyDelete